We made it back to Kansas with out any drama on the road. It was a little depressing getting back into the cold Midwestern climate, but we knew it was coming and enjoyed the warmth while we could.
Chelsea and Bryan were out as well because we were all celebrating my mom's birthday. Nick has been wanting to check out some of the touristy, historical things Kansas City has to offer, so this trip we decided to check one of them off the list. We headed to President Truman's Presidential Library in Independence.
Can you tell if Nick was having a good time ...?
Here he is in the Oval Office
Posing like Washington
Chelsea and Bryan were out as well because we were all celebrating my mom's birthday. Nick has been wanting to check out some of the touristy, historical things Kansas City has to offer, so this trip we decided to check one of them off the list. We headed to President Truman's Presidential Library in Independence.
Can you tell if Nick was having a good time ...?
Here he is in the Oval Office
And even getting into the exhibit, by putting on a jacket in the children's "Dress Like the Truman's" part of the museum.
Yes, Nick had a good time checking it all out and gleaning new information! LOL
I don't know if you can read this or not, but below is a letter that was at the exhibit. I found it really interesting. It's about Socialized Medicine and how the people are not interested. Isn't it interesting how some issues can come full circle? There was also another letter about people unhappy that the White House was being remodeled during a time when the country had little provisions and hard times. The end of the letter said something like, if the Government is going to spend money on petty things like this at a time of need, who knows what unnecessary projects it will start to through tax payer dollar towards. I guess times don't change all that much?
The Exhibit was kind of cracking us up as we walked through it. I guess the people in charge of it didn't get the memo that this was Truman's Library and they were supposed to make him look good. (they're PR was struggling majorly) Throughout the whole exhibit, including the movie there were tons of quote and stories about him that basically make the viewer conclude that Truman was a crappy president. It was quite hilarious actually. There was even a purple heart with a note displayed that were found in his desk together. The letter was from a parent of a soldier whose son was killed in the war. He was saying he wanted to give it back because he didn't agree with the war and didn't think his son deserved to die in it. Also he said he regretted that president Truman's daughter didn't go through the same experience.
I mean pretty harsh!
Anyway, I'm not such a fan myself of a lot of the things Truman did, but maybe the people putting together his memoir museum should have been? Ya think?
Anyway, off my political soap box ...
We were all in town to celebrate my mom's 39th Birthday! :)
We went down to the Plaza and had dinner at Houston's. It was delicious and always a crowd-pleaser with their delicious entrees. Seth had a fun time helping her open presents, after all at this point he was a pro.
My mom ordered a cake from Cold Stone. It was good and everything. (her favorite mint ice cream) But, I wanted you to see how LAME her cake was. I mean they didn't even get Happy Birthday written on it?! WHAT???? If I would have looked at the cake before it was time to eat it, I would have whipped up some icing and written it on myself ... I mean it is a birthday cake after all.
He was pretty excited about eating the cake ... until he took a bite and realized it was an ice cream cake. What kind of crazy kid doesn't like ice cream?
We had a fun last few days in Kansas before heading back to Ohio.
Nick continued the male tradition of watching all 3 of the Lord of The Rings during Christmas ... by HIMSELF! (I guess he's really committed to keeping that tradition alive) It wasn't as fun without Taylor and Al there to keep it going. But, Seth was watching the end of the 3rd movie and Nick was telling him all the characters names. He showed him "Gandolf the White" to which Seth replied ...."And Santa Clause is Gandolf the Red!" LOL I don't know how I get anything done with these hilarious comments all day!
Yeah, for Christmas break!





3 comments:
gandolf the red...HAHAHAHA.
Fun pictures! I think Nick's Washington pose was spot on! I voted for girl on your poll, btw! :)
Love the posts - I never noticed this until these pictures but Seth and Nick have the same smile of pure joy! Love it!
Post a Comment