Sunday, June 12, 2011

Introducing Shelby Ellen

Well, we finally have a cute little girl to show for the past 9 months of my growing belly. This blog post has been delayed because the last week has been pretty crazy. Anyway, I thought I'd post a bunch of pictures so all the family and friends that have been asking can see some pictures finally. So, here's the story:

Here I am the morning of my induction just before we headed to the hospital. I'm not big on belly pictures (I'd rather not remember) But, I thought I'd document my belly for the sake of Shelby's birthday story.

I went it at 7:30 and started the actual induction around 9am. I thought because of how far along I already was upon entering the hospital we'd for sure have a baby by the early afternoon. Well, i was sure wrong! Shelby Ellen Denzer made her debut at 6:16 pm that night. She was "sunny side up" which apparently makes labor slower and LONGER! Anyway, we were very excited once she finally came and instantly fell in LOVE! She came out screaming and did so for almost 3 hours. It was kind of hilarious and we were a little worried it would be an indication of our future once bringing her home. (But, luckily it turned out not to be).

Shelby Ellen Denzer
born at 6:16pm June 2, 2011
weight: 5lb 15 oz
Length: 20 1/2 inches long


Seth was super excited and Shelby gave him a little gift in the hospital. A fun bag of things including a little digital camera so he can take his own pictures of the baby. We may have to check these out and post a few for giggles!

Grandma was up to the hospital in about 3 seconds after getting the call that she was here! She brought up big brother Seth and they were both excited to see the little peanut.

Seth was so excited about being a big brother from day one. He was so nice and gentle with his new little sister and wanted to give her kisses.

Here's the proud Big brother himself!

I was relieved to finally be finished with being pregnant, labor, delivery ... you name it! But, it was totally worth it when I got to hold this little girl.

I just kept singing in my head "Isn't She Lovely!?" I guess that's going to be her theme song!

It was so fun to put her first little headband in her hair. I was so excited she came out with a full head of hair so we can dress it up with cute hair things.

Nick was a proud papa and such a good husband at the hospital. He stayed over night with me both nights even though home was only a few blocks away. He was up whenever Shelby needed anything and was so helpful with getting me back on my feet.

The next day, Seth came up to visit and was again so excited to see his brand new baby sister.

... at least for a while. Then he discovered a closet he could sit in and watch Toy Story 3 on grandma's Ipad. It was little secret hide out. But, it kept him occupied and not running around the halls, so whatever works.

Eventually, it was time to head home. I was feeling great and was surprised at how easy it was to be moving around and such. I remember a lot more pain and fatigue with Seth. But, we put Shelby in her first little outfit and got her all set to leave the hospital and head home for the first time.

While we were packing up and signing discharge papers Seth finally wanted to hold baby Shelby for the first time.

He also cuddled with her on the bed for a while ... what a cutie that kid is.

We were finally ready to head out and get home to start having some girlie fun!

... or at least that's what I had planned. Planning, I guess that's my downfall. We had everything planned out. When we would have the baby (since Nick is out of the state for the summer) when my mom was coming, etc. The only thing I didn't plan on was coming home and things going crazy!

Almost immediately after getting home I was in crazy pain. I couldn't even sit up. As soon as I sat up from laying down I had crazy pain and pressure in my back and head. It seriously felt like my head was going to explode. It was the worst head pain I've ever felt in my life (maybe even the worst pain ... and that's being said right after labor) Anyway, I called my Dr. office and whoever the Dr. on call was, was kind of a jerk and told me that I just had a baby, what did I expect? I need to rest up! AMAZING!!

After 2 more days of laying on my back in crazy pain, I called back again Monday morning. The Dr. on call (a different one) immediately called back and told me that it was something to do with my epidural. After a few more hours, I was back in the hospital getting a blood patch. It was pretty awful. Basically, I got another epidural put instead of putting anesthesia in me they injected blood from my arm into my spine. I guess I was leaking spinal fluid and it needed to be replenished and re-clot. After that, I had 2 more days of laying flat on my back and basically not moving.

It was seriously a nightmare! I couldn't really hold Shelby or do any of the fun first time things with her at home. I could only hold her to feed her and she would snuggle with me a little on the bed too from time to time. I'm happy to say that finally things turned around and I've started feeling a lot better. The Dr. told me that it would feel like someone hit me in the back with a 2x4 for about 2 weeks. I thought he was just exaggerating and that it would be sore. Nope, he was serious. It really feels like someone beat the crap out of me!

However, with in the last 2 days I've started feeling a lot better and have been able to move around a lot more. I'm getting back to a "normal" state and have been thinking positive again.

I don't know what we would have done with out my mom here. She seriously helped with everything. She entertained Seth so Nick could hang out with me laying on my back. She helped with Shelby in the middle of the night so we could get some rest. She cooked, cleaned, did laundry...you name it. I honestly don't know what we would have done with out her. She was probably worn out when she left yesterday! We were sad to see her go. (Especially Seth) But, we'll be visiting in Kansas in a few weeks!

So, from here on out I'll post a lot more pictures of our new little peanut. I just haven't been able to think or function for a while. Things are good now and hopefully I can get back to normal before Nick heads back to Texas next weekend. Thanks to everyone for all the love, thoughts and prayers over the last week and a half. I could really feel them and appreciated everything.

-more fun pictures to come-

9 comments:

The Petersen Family said...

Yay for pictures! I've been so excited to see pictures of your angel! I am sooooo sorry you had to go through all that. I can't believe that first dr. just told you to get some rest!! I'm glad you are feeling sort of better. I can't imagine going through all that right after having a baby. She is beautiful!! Congrats!

Celeste said...

I have been dying to hear how things went! I'm so glad Shelby made it here and that you are finally over the spinal headache! I've heard about those a lot with C-sections. Take it easy and can't wait to see more pictures.

Jennifer Tolman said...

you need to remember! you look so beautiful preggers. Clara was also "sunny side up" :D! but luckily my dr. was able to turn her around tho. I am so sorry about your rough postpartum. It basically made me want to cry for you!! lame lame lame. I am glad you are better though! and hope you are just loving that little shelby. she is a cute one. loved seth's big brother shirt.

Whitney said...

Oh my gosh! What a crazy story Sarah! How horrible for you. I was just reading everything out loud to Jeff and he was seriously in shock about every detail I was giving him. We're so happy for you that things are starting to turn around and you're finally starting to feel better. I hope you'll get that much needed girlie fun soon :)

BriANDaleen said...

Holy cow, what an ordeal you've been through!!! When I was reading about your pain, I instantly thought of your epidural...that first doctor is an IDIOT! I'm so sorry! But, your little Shelby is a doll! I think she looks a lot like Seth, especially the lips ;). I really hope things settle down quickly for you so you can enjoy your little girl!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your sweet new girl! The epidural story sounds awful, makes me never want to get one! She looks just like Seth, so adorable!

Aubrey said...

Oh my goodness Sarah, I didn't know all that happened! I feel so bad for you, but I am glad that you are starting to feel better!!! Shelby is super cute, but I'm sure I've already said that a million times on facebook, hehe

Rod and Diane Larsen said...

Denzer, Party of Four -- that sounds great! Thanks for the blog post -- I have been totally jealous of Aubrey being able to see Shelby on Facebook when I couldn't! You all look like a beautiful little family -- glad you are feeling much better, Sarah! And she's still worth it, for sure!

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

Congratulations!!! She is sooo beautiful. I am so sorry about your back--what an ordeal! I hope your recovery gets better. Shelby is seriously so cute, and you look amazing in your pics after just having a baby. I can't wait to see more pictures:)